jaded

wherein two neurotic Ohio residents try to make sense of a world gone mad

Thursday, August 17, 2006

drug pusher found liable

From CNNMoney:
Merck was found negligent in the latest Vioxx case, as a jury in New Orleans federal court found that the drugmaker misrepresented the risks of the arthritis painkiller.

In a double-whammy, a New Jersey court judge tossed an earlier verdict that favored Merck in a separate trial, based on new evidence.
I'm shocked, shocked! I say, that a big pharmaceutical company would be less than forthcoming about the risks of one of its best-selling drugs. Why, it's almost as though they were putting profits before the safety of its consumers.

1 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once the Spouse was working on a pharmaceutical account and brought home a bunch of sample packs of Vioxx. The've been sitting in the cabinet for a long time, but once I had a killer ear infection, that kind that makes you feel like you've been hit in the side of the head with a bat by Jim Thome or something and wouldn't a heart attack be better than this?

So I popped a few of them and within a half-hour I was dimly and disinterestedly aware that there was some pressure on the side of my head. The stuff rocks.

That said, considering how it was going to be a prescription-only thing anyway, why on earth wouldn't they make clear that it is contraindicated under certain circumstances? I suppose they must have been hoping it was the next Motrin, but it escapes me why they'd risk the company on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home