jaded

wherein two neurotic Ohio residents try to make sense of a world gone mad

Monday, October 30, 2006

"she's nothing like she used to be"

From the Whittier Daily News:
After a one-year tour of duty in Iraq, U.S. Army Pfc. Monica Perales is not the same person she was when she left in March 2003, her family says.

Always sweet and patient, the Whittier resident now snaps at them, at her friends and even at strangers at the slightest provocation, said her mother, Terry Perales.

Monica served with the 8th Battalion, 101st Aviation Regiment, unloading aircraft parts from trucks in a military camp called "Key West" in southern Iraq.

"She was a sweetheart. Now she lashes out at people all the time because she's so short-tempered," Terry Perales said. "She's nothing like she used to be. Now she speaks her mind, not thinking who she's going to hurt.

"And she has no patience with her daughter anymore," she added.

Monica, 23, said she is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a condition that more than 30 percent of veterans from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars sought treatment for in the first year they returned home, according to a recent study from the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.

She said she still has nightmares of people trying to kill her and finds herself constantly looking over her shoulder for danger.
Thanks to the war in Iraq, PTSD is going to affect tens of thousands of American men and women over the next fifty or sixty years. The lucky ones will be diagnosed and treated. The unlucky ones won't be.

Many of them will become alcoholics or undergo severe depression. Some, perhaps most, of them will from time to time lash out in anger against their will at strangers and loved ones alike. Some of them will commit suicide.

But hey, look at the bright side. A few Iraqi schools got painted this year. I guess it all evens out in the end.

3 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi-

First, thank you for serving our country. I have been suffering from PTSD for 15 years, maybe longer. I have an excelent therapist and I am on Effexor XR, Trazadone for sleeping and take Klonopin occationally. I still shake, scream when startled, have bad nighmares and I am so angry. Little things get to me alot!!

Get support anyway you can. I know that this is very tough, but it does get better with time. It still is tough and you are never the same. BTW: the memory
echinism seems to not work either.

I don't mean to be negative, but I just want to be honest so that you can get the help you need!

All my best,

Renee

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment, Renee.

I want to clear something up right away, though. I have never been in the armed forces. My co-blogger bram_javuf is an Army veteran, and has written about her experiences on this blog and elsewhere, for instance here.

My friendship with bram has made me more aware of issues involving veterans than I would otherwise be.

So while I appreciate your thanks, they should properly to go bram, not to me. And of course we wish you the best with your PTSD. We're glad you value your therapist, and we hope that your meds help alleviate things.

Thanks for reading the blog, and thanks again for your comment. Please bookmark us and stop by frequently

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger bram_jufuv said...

Renee, bram here. You have my empathy for the PTSD struggles. It's a tough disorder to have, and in many cases preventable. Preventable if the insanity of war would stop. In my case the trauma occurred due to assault in the service, due in large part to the lack of foresight, training, and support given to the troops when women were integrated into the service. There was a lot of resentment towards the female troops. "resentment" towards me led to 40 days in an army hospital.

My PTSD was diagnosed in 1998, but I had it for many years prior. Life is never the same, but you are right, some meds can help, as can a good therapist. The startle reaction and nightmares suck.

My only other caution is this: some of the VA counselors are good, some will "help" you discover other issues, with the result that any claim you file for PTSD will be weakened. Peace and recovery. bram

 

Post a Comment

<< Home